Have you ever said to yourself, “If only there was a way for me to know if I’m going to succeed in achieving the goal I’ve set or the task I’ve set out to do BEFORE I actually invest a lot of time, money and energy”? Well, I can tell you there is! Based on my 16 years of experience as a coach and consultant, I can say there is a way for you to predict if you’re going to persevere and follow through with your goal. Here are 8 factors to predict if you’re going to succeed in reaching the goal you’ve set. Read each sentence carefully. Then for each one of them, score yourself on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being not at all, and 10 being absolutely.
- I take 100% responsibility for where I am in life.
- The goal I’ve set is based on at least one of these: my passion, values, or life purpose.
- The goal I’ve set is in line with my strengths and talents.
- I’m focusing on just one goal at a time (and not pursuing multiple different goals).
- I have the ability and resilience to cope with failures and stress along the way.
- Physically, I’m ready and fit (enough sleep, healthy nutrition, regular exercise, etc).
- I have a group of people (friends, family, coach, etc) who support and encourage me in what I’m doing.
- The environment I’m working in (including the temperature, lighting, spaciousness AND the technologies I need) is in my favor.
Now, add up your scores. If your total score is higher than 64, there’s a very good chance that you’re going to make it! However, if your total score falls short, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll definitely fail. If you scored less than 8 on any of the above sentences, go back to them and see if you can figure out a way to improve your score in that area. For example, if you find yourself ‘not focused’ and ‘riding two horses at the same time,’ you can simply prioritize and put one of the goals on the back burner while you concentrate all your efforts on the one task at hand. Try to get creative! There is ALWAYS a way!
Dr. Shahab Anari is a Personal Branding Strategist, professional coach, and co-author with Brian Tracy of the best-seller ‘Ignite Your Life’. He has worked with more than 30,000 people on the topics of personal and professional success. He empowers professionals to get more clients by building their personal brands. Download his FREE 3-Step Personal Branding Guide at www.shahabanari.ca.